Saturday, March 15, 2014

Baked maple blueberry oatmeal

Considering the last recipe I posted, you're probably under the impression that I'm not extremely health-conscious.

Well, besides the fact that I ate almost all of those rolls I am a quite healthy eater on a daily basis. Now, I'm not eating kale all day long, but I consider my diet to be quite alright. This morning it's gloomy and chilly outside and a perfect day for this baked oatmeal recipe I found on A Cup of Jo a few days ago. I modified a couple of the ingredients, here's my version!

Baked Maple Blueberry Oatmeal
Yields 6  servings as a main dish, 12 as a side dish.
Ingredients:
2 cups rolled oats
1 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
1/4-1/3 cup 100% pure maple syrup
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. lite salt
2 1/4 cups vanilla unsweetened almond milk
1 large organic egg
3 tbsp. organic coconut oil, melted
2 cups fresh blueberries

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375F, spray the inside of a 9-inch round baking dish with organic olive oil cooking spray.

In a large bowl, combine the oats, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. In a smaller bowl, whisk together maple syrup, milk and egg.

Spread half of the oat mixture in the baking dish. Top it with half of the pecans and blueberries, then add the rest of the oats on top. Gently pour the milk mixture over the oats and shake the dish a bit so the ingredients settle. Scatter the rest of the berries and pecans on the top and drizzle with melted coconut oil.


Bake for 35-45 minutes until the top is golden and the oats have set. Serve warm with additional maple syrup or butter if desired.


Sidenote: toasting your pecans
Spray a cooking sheet with the same cooking spray mentioned earlier. Spread your pecans evenly on the pan and pop in the oven at 350 for about 5 minutes, until aromatic. Watch and smell carefully as pecans burn easily! Chop into smaller pieces for this recipe.

0 comments:

Post a Comment