Friday, October 3, 2014

PSL no-no's


In my last post I mentioned that I was giving up dessert. If you know me at all you know I have a mean sweet tooth and while I can still eat half a package of Oreo's in one sitting (the first step is admitting you have a problem) I have officially veered off onto a more sugar-less journey. It's been surprisingly easy! My body is telling me this is a welcome change.

I also decided that, recently turning 22, I should make more adult-like decisions: no, Katie, you can't have brownies for dinner.

So, naturally, I've been re-thinking the things I'm drinking. What exactly is in that PSL of mine?


left: Pumpkin Spice Latte, right: Salted Caramel Mocha

Above, you'll see my two favorite fall drinks from Starbucks in their usual form: nonfat, no whip.

Do you see the sugar content in those suckers? And the carbs... THE CARBS! Also, vegans and non-dairy people of the world: even if you get soy milk and no whipped cream, the syrup still contains dairy.

My first suggestion would be to visit your favorite local coffeehouse and ask what's in their pumpkin spice (or other) syrup. I know there's one by me that uses all natural ingredients and that, overall, makes me feel better about drinking it, even if it does have my day's worth of sugar and then some.

Second, make your own Pumpkin Spice Latte! This recipe from Eating Bird Food seems solid, or try this easier version from the always faithful Chocolate Covered Katie. My impression is that, once you have the main ingredients down (pumpkin, pumpkin spice, milk of choice, coffee or espresso) you'll be able to modify and make it your own. And, bonus, you know exactly what's going in there!

Visit my Pinterest board for more easy, at home latte recipes!

0 comments:

Post a Comment