Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Women in the workplace//wherever that may be


Today, I read an article about the woman who started the hashtag #WomenWhoWork. In the article, it lists the five stereotypes she most despises about working women.

While I'm very unrefined in my approach to convince my friends that working does not mean no life and vice-versa, Feminism, AKA gender equality for all, is something I've become increasingly passionate about.

I've always been a very independent person, shaping me into becoming an independent woman, and I plan on staying that way. No woman should ever have to defend her passions-and yes, you can be just as passionate about your job as you can your family, working out, your dog, wine, or whatever it is you're passionate about. And bonus, you can be passionate about all of those things at once.

In the article, one of my favorite phrases from stereotype number one: professional women are all the same, and stay-at-home moms aren't "working" women, says "The words 'working woman' shouldn't evoke an image of a female in a pinstriped pantsuit." Preach, girl.

Below, see a list of more articles and books on the topic.

The book that started it all, and I'm not even finished reading it yet

Another book I'm reading (shout out to Tina Fey for being awesome)

Have you heard of "Free the Nipple"? While I personally don't plan on giving full-frontals to the general public, here's an interesting article on the rise of nudist feminism.

Sheryl Sandberg (author of the first book referenced above) and Adam Grant recently wrote an intriguing-complete with statistics-article for The New York Times about why women don't speak up at work.

0 comments:

Post a Comment