Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Reflection//body shaming

Photo by Shea Hussey, OKC
Last night, during dinner with a friend, we had a conversation about what we want to give up for Lent. The first thing that came to my mind was all of the things I can give up so I can lose weight.

As a yoga teacher, I am always preaching to my students about loving yourself and being comfortable with where you're at right here, right now. So, as our conversation continued and it was obviously centered around food, I thought, why can't I practice what I preach and appreciate my body for what it is?

So, we decided to give up a mindset. Body-shaming.

Every day, when we look in the mirror, it is so incredibly easy to pick ourselves apart. I'm huge. My skin is gross. Where did this cellulite come from? Now, don't get me wrong. These are all parts of being human. However, in today's society, there are so many rules about what we should and shouldn't look like, and it's made us even more critical on ourselves. And, last night, we decided that's just not okay! If you are healthy, happy and proud of who you are... then you've got yourself a beautiful life.

Cheers to loving yo'self.

0 comments:

Post a Comment